Thursday, November 19, 2009

My New Home

I'm dreaming and planning about my new home.

Although my current house isn't even for sale yet (because neither of us have yet filed for the divorce...we're very tortoise-like in all of this), I've released a lot of burdens and will soon start shedding the accumulation of "stuff" as well.

Part of looking ahead is envisioning the life I want for myself in order to accomplish God's mission for me. This will be the first time in my life that I'll be able to take only myself into account, rather than trying to please or be responsible to someone else. It's freeing.

My current home is a tri-level built in the 1960s. It's three bedrooms and about 1450 square feet. I have a fenced-in yard, although the landscaping is awful. The yard in the back slopes steeply towards the house.

I've been logging onto the internet about once a week to look at homes for sale in the area I want to live. The ability to visualize and verbalize my own needs and wants is exciting.

My requirements:

  • Three bedrooms
    • Master bedroom
    • Creative sanctuary
    • Guest room
  • Fenced yard (for Miss Maggie, my beloved boxer/lab pup)
  • One story
  • Level yard
  • Decent neighborhood
  • A maximum of 45 minutes from my mom and dad
  • Central A/C
  • Attached garage
  • No maintenance siding (brick or vinyl)
My desires:

  • Hardwood floors
  • Fireplace
  • Cathedral ceiling
  • Built-in book shelves
I've been pouring over magazines and asking myself what my style is. Do you ever watch "Clean House?" I love how their designer, Mark Brunetz, is able to successfully understand an individual's style and bring it to life.

I can't afford Mark, so I'm creating my own design plans. I like uncluttered modern country. I want clean lines such as found in the Mission style. I love neutral colors with just a pop of an accent here or there. I love the look of natural wood.  Clean surfaces are important to me...very few knick-knacks.

My goal is to create a home where not only I can live contentedly, but my parents, children and friends will all feel the warmth of hospitality.

What an energizing journey this has become!

Linda

3 comments:

Linda Lee said...

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;in all your ways submit to him and he will make your paths straight.

I especially like your goal sentence. Just be open to where the Lord sends you and what he has for you! The Lord knows the home that is waiting for you--It will be perfect, it may not be the one you think is right or fit your dream house! When the Lord is in your decision it will be the perfect home!

Jen said...

You are so brave packing up and moving to a new state!! I hope your projects finish up quickly and you can get on your way. =)

Linda Lee said...

Thinking of you over the Christmas Holiday. I remember the first Christmas after my parents divorced--very difficult for everyone. How thankful we are to be able to rejoice that Christ was born a babe for us.
Linda